Thursday, January 6, 2011

Travis' Birthday (Homemade) Dinner

since Travis loves shrimp, he asked me to make him a shrimp dinner for his birthday. Off I went looking through my cookbooks trying to find something simple enough to put together with a 13 month old running around at my feet, but that I also already had all the ingredients for too! Thanks to Giada De Laurentis, I found this:

Shrimp Fra Diavolo (over linguine)

1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
3 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 tsp oregano
3 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley (I used dried)
3 tbs chopped fresh basil (I used dried).

in a medium bowl, toss shrimp in 1tsp salt and red pepper flakes (use less (or eliminate) red pepper flakes if you don't like spicy food). In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté shrimp until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove shrimp and set aside. Add onion. to the same skillet and sauté until translucent. Add tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic and oregano, and simmer until the sauces thicken slightly. Return shrimp and any accumulated juices to the tomato mixture and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt to taste. Spoon shrimp over cooked linguine.


it was a huge hit, even though it was SPICY!

No comments: